Tuesday, March 3, 2009

He Flew Away

Thomas flew away over a year ago.
We played this hymn at his funeral,

I'll Fly Away (Albert E. Brumley)

Some Glad morning when this life is o'er,
I'll fly away:
To a home on God's celestial shores
I'll fly away. (I'll fly away)

I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away;
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away. (I'll fly away)

When the shadows of this life has gone
I'll fly away
Like a bird from prison bars has flown
I'll fly away. (I'll fly away)

I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away;
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away. (I'll fly away)

Just a few more weary days and then,
I'll fly away
To a land where joy shall never end.
I'll fly away. (I'll fly away)

I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away;
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away. (I'll fly away)


Thomas was given a mobile as a birth gift, it is beautiful, with 4 wooden planes in red yellow green and blue, it was too big to have at the hospital so he never saw it, but I told him about it.


After he died I hung the mobile up in mine and Deans room, in the corner near his picture. I have spent countless hours staring at the planes, Dean and I talk about which plane Thomas would fly. One plane is missing a wheel but we think that Thomas would fix it if he wanted to fly that one. I think that he would fly the red one. He has a red pram that he never got to try out. He had a red casket too.


It was Thomas' Anniversary on Saturday. My Husband and I, our friend, my youngest Son, 2 Sisters and one sisters Husband and the dog went to the beach in time for sunset. The plan was to write Thomas' name in the sand, to have paper bag candles, some sandwiches, a baileys and let some balloons go. I thought about trying to writing something eloquent to say, to be read out at the right time. How do you say that your heart is broken and you are sad in everything that you do because he isn't there too, I mean how do you say that eloquently? I am tired of being sad, actually I am exhausted of being sad. I decided that I would be happiest if we just gathered together and reflected on Thomas, not focus on his death. No heartbreaking reading.

Just before sunset a plane flew past. We were just amazed. We talk about him in his plane all the time and loook at his mobile.
The plane flew along the shoreline and when it got overhead it turned and flew inland. I cant explain why but I don't feel it was a coincidence that a plane came our way at that time. I think Thomas sent it, or he asked God to send it.

Our gift from our son, hope and pride. I felt proud of him when I saw the plane.

We wrote notes to Thomas. My husband wrote on his note to Thomas "We saw you flying your plane". I wrote "Hello my baby, I love you". We attached our notes to balloons and let them fly away too.
Dean also made a stone mound and he put the candles in paper bags around it.
When Thomas was in NICU and we were living at Ronald McDonald House, because I was expressing milk the hospital supported my decision to breastfeed by suppling my lunch and dinner if I wanted it. I collected it from the kitchen in paper bags. We used those paper bags for the candles. We burned them at the end of the evening. I still have a couple though.
This picture shows the candles. We stayed at the beach until it was quite dark. It was not too chilly and it was very quiet. We chose a beach right away from homes so we could have it mostly to ourselves. We only saw 3 other people all through the night.

We even got a beautiful shot of Thomas' name in the sand. At sunset of course.




No comments:

Post a Comment